In 1950 the Northeast Center of Louisiana State University became a four-year college and was renamed Northeast Louisiana State College. By that time, the Library collections had grown to approximately 12,000 volumes. A new librarian, Ms. Maud Bentrup, took charge in 1954.
In 1961, the College established a Graduate School and began to offer master’s degrees. A higher level of academic programming required a bigger and better library, so that same year Ms. Bentrup launched plans for a new Library. The Library moved into a brand new building just two years later. Sandel Library was named for Mr. Percy Sandel, a former district attorney and judge who had been an active proponent for the establishment of Northeast.
- Arts, Education
- Social Sciences
- Health Sciences
University of Louisiana Locations