Lamar Institute of Technology traces its roots back to March 8, 1923, when the South Park School District in Beaumont authorized its superintendent to proceed with plans to open a “junior college of the first class.” On September 17, 1923, South Park Junior College opened with 125 students and a faculty of 14.
Located on the third floor of the South Park High School building, the college shared the library and athletic facilities with the high school. In 1932, separate facilities were provided. The name of the institution changed to Lamar College, honoring Mirabeau B. Lamar, second president of the Republic of Texas and the “Father of Education” in Texas.
- General Education
- Healthcare and Sciences
- Public Service and Safety
- Workforce Training and Continuing Education
Lamar Institute of Technology Locations
- Beaumont, TX